Katie's European Vacation aka Grad School

One American girl. A Masters Degree. Hungary, Greece, Sweden. Fun, adventure, and laughter!

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Gay Pride in Budapest


I definitely didn't plan to write about a Gay Pride parade in my first blog posting from Budapest, but the events are happening and I felt the need to write about them. You guys all know that when I have something to say, I say it!

Today, Saturday the 5th, is the Gay Pride parade in Budapest. Last year, this parade turned violent and there were many arrests. I guess that people threw eggs, tomatoes, feces, and more at the participants in the parade. How absolutely disgusting! Walking through the streets today there are tons of fences put up around the city and police everywhere. There are groups of police in riot gear and gas masks!! I honestly don't know if the police are there to control the crowds, enforce peace in the streets, or reinforce the idea that this is an event where people should be angry and riot.
After living in Portland the events of today are absolutely outrageous. I hope that today goes smoothly and that there is little to no violence. I hope that I have moved to a country that is supportive of all people, regardless of sexual orientation. I would write more but I think that Whoopi Goldberg summed it all up nicely in this video.

I will keep you updated on the events of today. Please join me in wishing that the people of Budapest are able to celebrate and have fun today, without worries of violence or arrest.

PS- General Budapest blogs coming soon!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home